2014年1月17日

2014.01.16~17-Penang: George Town


I had been to Penang for business trip for many time. However, each time I visited, it was always in a tight schedule ( visit the customer, then leave ) so that I didn't have enough time strolling around this place. It's really a pity! Therefore, Penang is still an unfamiliar place to me.

This time, I asked one day off before flying back to Taiwan and arranged an outing for sketching. I can finally enjoy this wold-class historical city.
Penang is a state in Malaysia. It's composed by Penang Island and Province Wellesley. The place I visited is Penang's capital, Geroge town.



Travelogue has 4 chapters
(1) Sketch works,Link to Album
(2) Preparation of tools & experience sharing
(3) First Day
(4) Second Day

Preparation of tools & experience sharing


I prepared large and small size Moleskine sketchbooks for different circumstances. Small book is convenience and can shorten the sketching time. Large book is applied in complicated and panoramic scenes, and it needs more time.

Sketching time must be well controlled. According to my experience, 15~25 min for each work is reasonable. Because small book is more convenience, I sketched most of my works on it. Sometimes I also used large book, but sketching time became 50~60 min.

The reason of time controlling is very simple. It's very helpful saving more precious time to explore more interesting and beautiful places in Penang. I really don't want to waste my time just in painting and forget the trip.

I used 4 kinds of pens. Pencil and technical pen were in charge of the outline, and I changed the pen according to the style needed. Water brush was used to paint the watercolor. The body of water brush can store the water, and it's handy pinching the water out. Finally, I did the touch-up with ink brush for painting some special strokes.

How did I fix the awkward pallet? I took portable pallet with me in trip. This handy tool  let me be able to hold the sketchbook and pallet simultaneously. Therefore, I can just stand and sketch at any place without too much limits.




First Day (09:00~20:00)


Region A : Little India

I put up in Bay View Hotel.

The street view in Little India.





I noticed this morning street view with colorful houses and shining sun light. This compelling view attracted me so much. I stood aside the road recording the view I saw. One tourist passed by me and told me my work is terrific!






It was around 11 o'clock. I took almost 1 hour sketching a quaint green building. I planned to have a lunch after painting, so it was not in a hurry finishing the work. Because of this, I had a lot of time appropriating the detail of the building.




After lunch, I visited Baba & Nyonya Heritage Museum.This is a museum introducing the local history of ethnic Chinese-Malays called Baba-Nyonya in Malaysia.






Region B: Kapitan Keling Mosque

After leaving Little India, I followed my own tour course and headed to next spot.




Region C: Street View




An idle cat



Region D: Street View

The street in Penang is very beautiful. I saw the quaint old buildings every where. And most of old houses are preserved so well.







Region E: Masjid Melayu




Region F: Chew Jetty

Chew Jetty is the biggest of the waterfront Chinese communities in George Town. It was created in the middle of the 19th Century. At the time, China was in tumultuous. A lot of people immigrated to Penang for escaping the war.

Because it was just 4:00 pm. I stayed here for a long time to sketch the houses. I also chatted with a little girl who lives in Chew Jetty.




After becoming the famous tourist spot, a lot of vendors emerged.





Region G: Malayan Railway Building




Region H: Shore nearby Fort Cornwallies

Because planning visiting Fort Cornwallies next day, I bypassed it and walked along the shore behind the fort. In here, I sketched the north part of Penang island.




Region I: Street View



 

Fist day's sketching trip was over. I walked back to Bay View and had the dinner in Red Garden.  


Red Garden


Second Day (10:00~14:30)



Region J : Komtar Jalan Penang
I stayed in the room sketching the overlook of George Town. Because the whole scene was so intricate, it really took me a lot of time dealing with the detail. The highest skyscraper is called Komtar jalan penang. It has 65 stories and is the landmark of Penang.






Region K : Cheong Fatt Tze Mansion
Cheong Fatt Tze mansion is also called blue house. It was home of a famous Chinese businessman in 19th cnetury. Because the house was only opened at 11:00, 13:30 and 15:30, I stayed outside waiting and sketching. I love the blue of the wall. It makes this old traditional Chinese mansion much more special and vivid.  






I didn't notice the time. When I finished sketching, it was already over 11:00. Therefore, I went back to Bay View preparing to check up and lodged my luggage.After thing was done, I departed for Fort Cornwallies.

Region L : Pinaon Time Tunnel

On my way to Fort Cornwallies, I dropped by Pinaon time tunnel. It is a museum introducing the history of Penang. 





Region M : Fort Cornwallies

I passed the park nearby the fort. I saw quaint European style building and  beautiful lawn.  I also smelt the odor of sea. All of these made me so relaxing.



In fort Cornwallies


One of Penang's famous landmark, clock tower. It was built for celebrating the birthday of Queen Victoria in 19th century.



Region K : Cheong fatt tze mansion

In blue house.





After visiting blue house, I picked up my luggage in Bay View and took the taxi to airport. My Penang sketching trip was also over. I will miss this terrific sketching trip !




1 則留言:

  1. Thank you so much more sharing Penang in water colour. You are very gifted and artistic. I'm a Malaysia Tourist Guide based in Penang Island. You have shown me a different angle of appreciating George Town Heritage City.
    Philip Chong.

    回覆刪除